Sunday, February 5, 2012

Mold on house plants?

I have a huge and lovely Peace Lilly. I am wondering why the dirt in it keeps getting what looks like whitish mold on the surface of the dirt? I take the mold off and back it grows! The plant is never outside, it gets a moderate amount of light (enough for it), and I water it just once a week. I can tell when it needs watering because the leaves start to droop then when I water it, it has perked up by day's end. I have repotted her twice, and I really don't want to change the dirt again. In light of all that, help?!?!? Please.

Mold on house plants?
What may appear to be mold on top of your soil might really be due to an accumulation of minerals from your water. This is quite commonly found on the soils of agricultural crops as well as on those of indoor plants.



I would suggest that you use bottled water to every 3rd or 4th watering to flush the deposits from the soil. Apply at least 3 times the volume of the pot of fresh water on the potting soil and let it drain completely. This should help reduce or eliminate the white deposits from forming on the top of your soil.



Another problem you could possibly have is an accumulation of salts BUT if this was the case, you would see brown tips on the leaves of your lilly, dropping of the lower leaves and the tips of your roots turning brown or dead.



IF this is the case, I'd suggest that you use bottled water exclusively. (Although there is a theory that by boiling water may reduce SOME of the minerals)



Hope this solves your problem. GOOD LUCK!



-Certified Professional Crop Consultant with over 30 years of experience and a Degree in Plant Science
Reply:try a different soil


  • natural instinct
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment